Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Now Listen Here, Groundhog...

Although Punxatawney Phil predicted an early Spring, it looks as though the Chuckles, the Connecticut weather prognosticator, may have been more accurate.  With winter storm Nemo (or in CT, Blizzard Charlotte) just behind us, it looks like we may have another blast of wintry weather headed our way.  I'm of the opinion that both of these groundhogs should get on the same page - meaning, whatever page means it's somewhere around 70 degrees tomorrow. 

In the meantime, I thought it might be interesting to show you how Nemo/Charlotte expressed him/herself at EHM/CHM sites.

This is Grace Meadows:

That misshapen lump?  The Superintendent's car. 
The small black dot about halfway up is the side mirror


And not to be outdone, here's Bernhardt Meadow:
Fortunately, these folks have garages, so they could still find their cars.

We in the northwest corner were fortunately spared the worst of this one, with average snowfall somewhere around two feet or so.  Usually, we're travelling by snowmobile while the rest of the state gets a flurry or two.

Not this time. 

The winner of the snow fall raffle this storm was undoubtedly the New Haven / Hamden area - with 40 inches of snow reportedly dropping by the storm's end.

Here's a picture of Davenport Dunbar:


OK, just kidding.  It wasn't quite that bad.  But close.  These are pictures of the streets near Davenport-Dunbar:





And this is at Oak View / Woods Edge:



And this was what my husband came out to when he got off of his 12-hour ambulance shift (which spanned the worst of the storm):

That lump there is my SUV, with that black oval being my side mirror.  At this point, I was stuck in my house with four to five foot snow drifts blocking all of my doors.  He had to come dig me out!

Things were no better at the barn where I board my horses - it looked like this:

To give you an idea of scale, there are two horses all the way on the right side of the picture.

This was an absolutely historic storm. 
Have some pictures of your site / home / area you'd like to share? 


Be sure that if you have any residents in the picture,
you have a signed release from them before emailing a picture for posting on the blog. 


Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be cursing that groundhog and hoping for warm weather.

2 comments:

  1. Having had the opportunity to travel to several sites the Tuesday following this historic storm and being the recipient of the check-ins from most all of the sites by the same day (some staff were trapped for longer periods of time due to municipal streets not being cleared)I would like to thank all the EHM employees who cleared the snow, checked on our residents, communicated with town services, served the meals and so much more! A job well done with a challenging situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. I was quite impressed with how quickly and how thoroughly this storm was managed by our staff. Well done!

    ReplyDelete